Blocking '0000-00-00' from MySQL Date Fields

Viewed 14035

I have a database where old code likes to insert '0000-00-00' in Date and DateTime columns instead of a real date. So I have the following two questions:

  1. Is there anything that I could do on the db level to block this? I know that I can set a column to be not-null, but that does not seem to be blocking these zero values.
  2. What is the best way to detect the existing zero values in date fields? I have about a hundred tables with 2-3 date columns each and I don't want to query them individually.

Followup:

The default is already set to null. A long time ago, the default was '0000-00-00'. Some code still explicitly places '0000-00-00'. I would prefer to force that code to throw an error so I could isolate and remove it.

8 Answers
SET SQL_MODE='ALLOW_INVALID_DATES';
SET GLOBAL sql_mode=(SELECT REPLACE(@@sql_mode,'NO_ZERO_DATE',''));   
SET GLOBAL sql_mode=(SELECT REPLACE(@@sql_mode,'NO_ZERO_IN_DATE',''));

Just run above queries on database. It will solve the issue permanently.

Related