How to make sure iterators do not overpass end()?

Viewed 12534

I have been using advance on some iterators, but I am afraid of a possible leapfrog above end(). I would like to make sure my iterators stay between the bounds, I thought of the distance but it seems it does not return what I would be expecting (non-positive values when iterators overpass end()). How would you make sure there is no leapfrog?

#include <iostream>
#include <iterator>
#include <list>
using namespace std;

int main () {
  list<int> mylist;
  for (int i=0; i<10; i++) mylist.push_back (i*10);

  list<int>::const_iterator first = mylist.begin();
  const list<int>::const_iterator last = mylist.end();

  cout << "The distance is: " << distance(first,last) << endl; // 10
  advance(first, 10);
  cout << "The distance is: " << distance(first,last) << endl; // 0
  advance(first, 1);
  cout << "The distance is: " << distance(first,last) << endl; // 10
  advance(first, 10);
  cout << "The distance is: " << distance(first,last) << endl; // 0

  return 0;
}

Here is the output:

The distance is: 10
The distance is: 0
The distance is: 10
The distance is: 0
6 Answers
Related