$ cat test.pl
my $pid = 5892;
my $not = system("top -H -p $pid -n 1 | grep myprocess | wc -l");
print "not = $not\n";
$ perl test.pl
11
not = 0
$
I want to capture the result i.e. 11 into a variable. How can I do that?
$ cat test.pl
my $pid = 5892;
my $not = system("top -H -p $pid -n 1 | grep myprocess | wc -l");
print "not = $not\n";
$ perl test.pl
11
not = 0
$
I want to capture the result i.e. 11 into a variable. How can I do that?
Try using qx{command} rather than backticks. To me, it's a bit better because: you can do SQL with it and not worry about escaping quotes and such. Depending on the editor and screen, my old eyes tend to miss the tiny back ticks, and it shouldn't ever have an issue with being overloaded like using angle brackets versus glob.
Use backticks for system commands, which helps to store their results into Perl variables.
my $pid = 5892;
my $not = ``top -H -p $pid -n 1 | grep myprocess | wc -l`;
print "not = $not\n";
Also for eg. you can use IPC::Run:
use IPC::Run qw(run);
my $pid = 5892;
run [qw(top -H -n 1 -p), $pid],
'|', sub { print grep { /myprocess/ } <STDIN> },
'|', [qw(wc -l)],
'>', \my $out;
print $out;