pthread_exit vs. return

Viewed 33532

I have a joinable pthread runner function defined as below:

void *sumOfProducts(void *param)
{
...
pthread_exit(0);
}

This thread is supposed to join the main thread.

Whenever I ran my program through Valgrind I would get the following leaks:

LEAK SUMMARY:
   definitely lost: 0 bytes in 0 blocks
   indirectly lost: 0 bytes in 0 blocks
     possibly lost: 0 bytes in 0 blocks
   still reachable: 968 bytes in 5 blocks
        suppressed: 0 bytes in 0 blocks

ERROR SUMMARY: 0 errors from 0 contexts (suppressed: 15 from 10)

I checked the man page for pthreads which said:

  The new thread terminates in one of the following ways:

   * It  calls  pthread_exit(3),  specifying  an exit status value that is
     available  to  another  thread  in  the  same  process   that   calls
     pthread_join(3).

   * It  returns  from  start_routine().   This  is  equivalent to calling
     pthread_exit(3) with the value supplied in the return statement.

   * It is canceled (see pthread_cancel(3)).

   * Any of the threads in the process calls exit(3), or the  main  thread
     performs  a  return  from main().  This causes the termination of all
     threads in the process.

Miraculously, when I replaced the pthread_exit() with a return statement, the leaks disappeared.

return(NULL);

My actual question is three-pronged:

  1. Can someone explain why the return statement gave no leaks?
  2. Is there some fundamental difference between both statements, in relation to exiting from threads?
  3. If so, when should one be preferred over the other?
6 Answers

it's difficult for Valgrind to track pthread_exit variables that's why with pthread_exit it shows memory leak with still reachable tag; but not in the case with return.

Related