How do I call a JavaScript function on page load?

Viewed 1302902

Traditionally, to call a JavaScript function once the page has loaded, you'd add an onload attribute to the body containing a bit of JavaScript (usually only calling a function)

<body onload="foo()">

When the page has loaded, I want to run some JavaScript code to dynamically populate portions of the page with data from the server. I can't use the onload attribute since I'm using JSP fragments, which have no body element I can add an attribute to.

Is there any other way to call a JavaScript function on load? I'd rather not use jQuery as I'm not very familiar with it.

8 Answers

For detect loaded html (from server) inserted into DOM use MutationObserver or detect moment in your loadContent function when data are ready to use

let ignoreFirstChange = 0;
let observer = (new MutationObserver((m, ob)=>
{
  if(ignoreFirstChange++ > 0) console.log('Element added on', new Date());
}
)).observe(content, {childList: true, subtree:true });


// TEST: simulate element loading
let tmp=1;
function loadContent(name) {  
  setTimeout(()=>{
    console.log(`Element ${name} loaded`)
    content.innerHTML += `<div>My name is ${name}</div>`; 
  },1500*tmp++)
}; 

loadContent('Senna');
loadContent('Anna');
loadContent('John');
<div id="content"><div>

Related