How to include ampersand in connection string?

Viewed 47957

I'm using Entity Framework 4 for a simple app and would like to bake my connection credentials into the following connection string:

<connectionStrings>
    <add name="MyEntities"    
         connectionString="metadata=res://*/MyDataModel.csdl|res://*/MyDataModel.ssdl|res://*/MyDataModel.msl;provider=System.Data.SqlClient;provider connection string=&quot;Data Source=localhost\DEV;Initial Catalog=MyDB;UserId=myUser;Password=jack&jill;MultipleActiveResultSets=True&quot;" 
         providerName="System.Data.EntityClient" />
</connectionStrings>

However, the password (which I cannot change) contains an ampersand. ASP.NET throws: Configuration Error: An error occurred while parsing EntityName. Line XX, position YYY.

If I replace the ampersand in the password with &amp;, I get a SqlException: Login failed for user 'myUser'. Usually this trick works, but I'm guessing that something is failing because this is technically a connection string inside a connection string.

What should I do here? Most of my classes include code like:

using (var context = new MyEntities()) {
   // do work
}

Update: It turns out that the credentials I am using are a domain account, so what I really need is Integrated Security=True in the connection string rather than a password.

Encoding the ampersand as indicated in the accepted answer should work fine, though I haven't tested it.

1 Answers
Related