Am I using PHP's crypt() function correctly?

Viewed 17366

I've been using PHP's crypt() as a way to store and verify passwords in my database. I use hashing for other things, but crypt() for passwords. The documentation isn't that good and there seems to be a lot of debate. I'm using blowfish and two salts to crypt a password and store it in the database. Before I would store the salt and the encrypted password, (like a salted hash) but realized its redundant because the salt is part of the encrypted password string.

I'm a little confused on how rainbow table attacks would work on crypt(), anyway does this look correct from a security standpoint. I use a second salt to append to the password to increase the entropy of short passwords, probably overkill but why not?

function crypt_password($password) {
if ($password) {
    //find the longest valid salt allowed by server
    $max_salt = CRYPT_SALT_LENGTH;

    //blowfish hashing with a salt as follows: "$2a$", a two digit cost parameter, "$", and 22 base 64
    $blowfish = '$2a$10$';

    //get the longest salt, could set to 22 crypt ignores extra data
    $salt = get_salt ( $max_salt );

    //get a second salt to strengthen password
    $salt2 = get_salt ( 30 ); //set to whatever


    //append salt2 data to the password, and crypt using salt, results in a 60 char output
    $crypt_pass = crypt ( $password . $salt2, $blowfish . $salt );

    //insert crypt pass along with salt2 into database.
    $sql = "insert into database....";

    return true;
    }
}  


function get_salt($length) {
$options = 'ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789./';

$salt = '';

for($i = 0; $i <= $length; $i ++) {
    $options = str_shuffle ( $options );
    $salt .= $options [rand ( 0, 63 )];
}
return $salt;
}

function verify_password($input_password)
{
if($input_password)
{
    //get stored crypt pass,and salt2 from the database
    $stored_password = 'somethingfromdatabase';
    $stored_salt2 = 'somethingelsefromdatabase';

    //compare the crypt of input+stored_salt2 to the stored crypt password
    if (crypt($input_password . $stored_salt2, $stored_password) == $stored_password) {
        //authenticated
        return true;
    }
    else return false;
}
else return false;
}
5 Answers
Related