git problem : fatal: Unable to write new index file

Viewed 41924

I have an existing project that has been managed under git. I recently had to do a ground-up rebuild of the computer (OS X Snow Leopard), and returning to the project, git can track the changes in the project, but I can't save anything to git. I get the error in the title when I try :

Dans-iMac-335:[app-name-obscured] apple$ git add app/models/*
fatal: Unable to write new index file

What's the best way to recover from this situation? There is a heroku repository version of this, but it is very out of sync with this one. presumably I could use a new clone as a basis, and update each file, but that seems over laborious and error prone.

What is git looking for here that it can't find, and is there a change that will restore it?

BTW, file permissions are correct from what I can tell - the files under control and the .git components are both owned by me with rw access...

14 Answers

I had the same problem. "fatal: Unable to write new index file"

I found out that the reason was that my disk was full. I removed something else from it and then my git repo recovered and all worked again.

Related