What is the best way to compare 2 folder trees on windows?

Viewed 155889

I'm moving a repository from sourcesafe to subversion and I need to ensure that vital points are equal. Is it any existing command / tool for windows that allows me to compare two folder trees that they are equal (has equal folder structure and files of same content)? The ideal will be something command-line like:

some_cool_compare c:\current_vss c:\current_svn -exclude .svn;*.vspscc;*.scc

Is it some tool / command exist or I need to write a script of my own?

7 Answers

SyncToy is a free application from Microsoft with a "Preview" mode for comparing two paths. For example:

SyncToy Preview screenshot (source: https://maketecheasier-2d0f.kxcdn.com/assets/uploads/2010/06/synctoy-preview.png)

You can then choose one of three modes ("Synchronize", "Echo" and "Contribute") to resolve the differences.

Lastly, it comes with SyncToyCmd for creating and synchronizing folder pairs from the CLI or a Scheduled Task.

Related