How do I start contributing to GNOME?

Viewed 1222

How do I start contributing to GNOME? I can program in C++ and Python, but have never touched C. I am not familiar with GTK even.

To be honest, I have no idea how GNOME works. All I have is a deep desire to somehow contribute to it.

Where do you recommend do I start? Any tutorial, mailing list or anything. I am ready to do the hard work, I just need a direction.

PS: I could have googled for the problem, but nothing beats the experience I have seen since Google returns SO for most of the questions.

5 Answers

also to note:

you don't have to learn C (even though it's a good idea). You can use PyGtk for GTK development in python (but i won't recommend that because of the speed of python). GTK bindings for c++ also exit it's called gtkmm. It have binding for many other librays (Cluttermm, Cairomm, Pangomm).

there are bindings for A LOT of languages but native C is the best solution.

I would recommend learning vala because of it's ease of use but also because of it's speed (but that's just personal preference).

also check the gnome-devel-demo out. can be useful

Related