Database that can handle >500 millions rows

Viewed 93676

I am looking for a database that could handle (create an index on a column in a reasonable time and provide results for select queries in less than 3 sec) more than 500 millions rows. Would Postgresql or Msql on low end machine (Core 2 CPU 6600, 4GB, 64 bit system, Windows VISTA) handle such a large number of rows?

Update: Asking this question, I am looking for information which database I should use on a low end machine in order to provide results to select questions with one or two fields specified in where clause. No joins. I need to create indices -- it can not take ages like on mysql -- to achieve sufficient performance for my select queries. This machine is a test PC to perform an experiment.

The table schema:

 create table mapper {
        key VARCHAR(1000),
        attr1 VARCHAR (100),
        attr1 INT,
        attr2 INT,
        value VARCHAR (2000),
        PRIMARY KEY (key),
        INDEX (attr1), 
        INDEX (attr2)   
    }
9 Answers
Related