How set the android:gravity to TextView from Java side in Android

Viewed 275291

I can use android:gravity="bottom|center_horizontal" in xml on a textview to get my desired results, but I need to do this programmatically. My textview is inside a tablerow if that matters in a relativelayout.

I have tried:

LayoutParams layoutParams = new TableRow.LayoutParams(LayoutParams.WRAP_CONTENT, LayoutParams.WRAP_CONTENT, Gravity.BOTTOM | Gravity.CENTER_HORIZONTAL);
labelTV.setLayoutParams(layoutParams);

But if I understand correctly, that would apply it to the tablerow, not the textview?

7 Answers

Solved this by doing a few things, first getting the height of my TextView and diving it by the text size to get the total amount of lines possible with the TextView.

int maxLines = (int) TextView.getHeight() / (int) TextView.getTextSize();

After you get this value you need to set your TextView maxLines to this new value.

TextView.setMaxLines(maxLines);

Set the Gravity to Bottom once the maximum amount of lines has been exceeded and it will scroll down automatically.

if (TextView.getLineCount() >= maxLines) {
    TextView.setGravity(Gravity.BOTTOM);
}

In order for this to work correctly, you must use append() to the TextView, If you setText() this will not work.

TextView.append("Your Text");

The benefit of this method is that this can be used dynamically regardless of the height of your TextView and the text size. If you decide to make modifications to your layout this code would still work.

Related