Where is the JavaScript DOM API documented?

Viewed 15020

I am a C/C++ programmer, and I am currently playing with some Javascript code, and I am having problems finding where the documentation is for the standard Javascript libraries that are available in the browser.

Specifically, I am setting an onload callback function on a HTMLImageElement, created with new Image(). I also want to read about the src property, since it has non-standard behavior - when this property is assigned to, the image is reloaded.

Mozilla has some skeleton documentation of the various attributes here: https://developer.mozilla.org/en/DOM/Image There is no documentation here, only a list of properties. The onload property is not mentioned. The src property is listed but there is no documentation on it.

MSDN has has better documentation: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc197055(VS.85).aspx.

My question is 'where are the standard docs'? Is Image() a global variable, or is it a property of window the global object? Who writes the API for window and document? Is there a standard, or does each browser just copy each other?

5 Answers
Related