What to use as an initial version?

Viewed 52218

I usually start my projects with a version 1.0.0. As soon as I have some stuff together, I release it as 1.0.0 and move on with 1.1.0.

However, this leads to usable but not exactly feature complete version 1.0.0 of most stuff I write. I then add features and get to a decent version somewhere around 1.6.0. Many projects start with version 0.1.0, which will be as usable as my 1.0.0.

What would you suggest doing? Start with 1.0.0 or 0.1.0?

The last number is for bugfix releases only by the way. You can think of my 1.0.0 as 1.0 and 0.1.0 as 0.1 is that's easier for you.

11 Answers

0.1.0 is what I start with and move up from there. This is what I've adapted for Xploration By Adrian, although in my early years I was very sporadic and used 1.0.0, 0.0.1, and a few others. But I do recommend starting at 0.1.0 and going from there.

Per Semver, reserve a and c in a.b.c for A. You first official release and C. Bug fixes and patches. This is because a major version generally breaks older code. And patches simply fix bugs. This is all personal preference, 0.99.0 doesn't mean you have to go to 1.0.0, etc. I've seen some that go all the way to 0.218.42.

Related