Converting INSERT commands to UPDATE

Viewed 13058

I have two INSERT commands, that are useless to me like that because the two sets of rows - the ones that are already in the table, and the ones I have as INSERT commands - are not disjunct. Both commands insert lots of rows, and lots of values.

Therefore I get the duplicate entry error if I want to execute those lines.

Is there any easy way to 'convert' those commands into UPDATE?

I know this sounds stupid, because why do I make INSERT commands, if I want to UPDATE. Just to make it a clear scenario: another developer gave me the script:)

Thanks in advance, Daniel

EDIT - problem solved

First I created a table and filled it up with my INSERT commands, then I used the following REPLACE command:

REPLACE
    INTO table_1
SELECT *
    FROM table_2;

This can originally be found at: How can I merge two MySQL tables?

4 Answers
Related