Dynamic menu using mfc

Viewed 26115

I would like to add a menu item to my main menu and then populate it with items at run time. How would I do this? And besides adding items how would I have a message map entry for them since I do not know the id?

4 Answers

Following example if you wish to dynamically add menu item & also attach data to that menu item.

    struct MyStruct
    {
        int abc;
    };
    CMenu MyMenu;
    MyMenu.CreatePopupMenu();

    CMenu MyMainMenu;
    VERIFY(MyMainMenu.LoadMenu(IDR_MAIN_MENU_ID));
    MyMainMenu.InsertMenu(0, MF_POPUP, (UINT_PTR)MyMenu.m_hMenu, _T("Main Menu"));

    const int iMenuAdds = 5;
    for (int i = 0; i < iMenuAdds; ++i)
    {
        MyStruct myStruct;
        myStruct.abc = i+10001;

        CString MenuDesc;
        MenuDesc.Format(_T("MenuNo: %d"), i);
        MENUITEMINFO tmpItem;
        tmpItem.fMask = MIIM_STRING | MIIM_ID | MIIM_DATA;
        tmpItem.fType = MFT_STRING;
        tmpItem.fState = MFS_ENABLED;
        tmpItem.wID = i + 101; //See note 1. below.
        tmpItem.dwItemData = (ULONG_PTR)&myStruct; //data set.
        tmpItem.dwTypeData = MenuDesc.GetBuffer(); //string description
        tmpItem.cch = MenuDesc.GetLength();
        tmpItem.cbSize = sizeof(tmpItem);
        MyMenu.InsertMenuItem(i, (LPMENUITEMINFO)& tmpItem, FALSE);
    }

To retrieve menu item & associated data:

CMenu* pPopup = &MyMenu; //or CMenu* pPopup = MyMainMenu.GetSubMenu(0); depending on parent.
ULONG_PTR lRetVal = pPopup->TrackPopupMenu(TPM_LEFTALIGN | TPM_RIGHTBUTTON | TPM_RETURNCMD, point.x, point.y, this, NULL);
//^^lRetVal should return same value as tmpItem.wID above.

MENUITEMINFO tmpItem;
tmpItem.cbSize = sizeof(MENUITEMINFO);
tmpItem.fMask = MIIM_STRING | MIIM_ID | MIIM_DATA;
tmpItem.fType = MFT_STRING;
TCHAR dwTypeData[256];
tmpItem.dwTypeData = dwTypeData;
tmpItem.cch = 256;
pPopup->GetMenuItemInfo(lRetVal, &tmpItem, FALSE);
MyStruct *myStruct = (MyStruct*)tmpItem.dwItemData; //and now we have our data.
  1. Used as your #define & can be used for ON_COMMAND_RANGE(idFirst, idLast, Function), so would still need to have some sort of defined range if you were planning on using ON_COMMAND_RANGE. Alternatively: use command range for dynamic menu or create your own within the data set. Also need to make sure any ranges used do not conflict with any already #defined menu items on the same or parent menu.

Added above as I found this thread from googling due to an issue & I was already using the accepted answers method for adding menu items.

Related