Global hotkey in console application

Viewed 33543

Does anyone know how to use the RegisterHotKey/UnregisterHotKey API calls in a console application? I assume that setting up/removing the hotkey is the same, but how do I get the call back when the key was pressed?

Every example I see is for Winforms, and uses protected override void WndProc(ref Message m){...}, which isn't available to me.


update: what I have is below, but the event is never hit. I thought it could be because when you load ConsoleShell it does block further execution, but even if I put SetupHotkey into a different thread nothing happens. Any thoughts?

class Program
{
    static void Main(string[] args)
    {
        new Hud().Init(args);
    }
}

class Hud
{
    int keyHookId;


    public void Init(string[] args)
    {
        SetupHotkey();
        InitPowershell(args);
        Cleanup();
    }

    private void Cleanup()
    {
        HotKeyManager.UnregisterHotKey(keyHookId);
    }

    private void SetupHotkey()
    {
        keyHookId = HotKeyManager.RegisterHotKey(Keys.Oemtilde, KeyModifiers.Control);
        HotKeyManager.HotKeyPressed += new EventHandler<HotKeyEventArgs>(HotKeyManager_HotKeyPressed);
    }

    void HotKeyManager_HotKeyPressed(object sender, HotKeyEventArgs e)
    {
        //never executed
        System.IO.File.WriteAllText("c:\\keyPressed.txt", "Hotkey pressed");
    }

    private static void InitPowershell(string[] args)
    {
        var config = RunspaceConfiguration.Create();
        ConsoleShell.Start(config, "", "", args);
    }
}
4 Answers
Related