How to configure Git for using it with Dropbox?

Viewed 5910

I have been using git for half a year or so and I don't know whether I am using git fully.

First of all, I have been experimenting with dropbox and I feel that if I can incorporate it into my work flow, it would be really great since dropbox is pretty convenient.

  1. I have a desktop, and a laptop. Both have dropbox.
  2. I initialized my dropbox repos by doing a git init --bare. And then in my Desktop's post-commit script, I have a git push --mirror dropbox.

This way my desktop and dropbox will always be completely mirrored, which is a good thing.

My real question is: How should I set up my laptop? I have been hearing a few suggestions:

  1. Pull from my desktop, so that my laptop's origin is desktop.
  2. Pull directly from dropbox so that my laptop's origin is dropbox.

I have been doing number 2, and I don't know if I am doing the right thing. My work flow includes:

  1. Everytime I am on my laptop, I do a git pull (since laptop's origin is dropbox and dropbox updates itself)
  2. Then when I check out a branch from dropbox to a local branch.
  3. After I am done with work, I commit.
  4. This is where I am confused: Should I push --mirror to my dropbox repos (my laptop's origin repos) too? I am getting some difficulties in this area: Sometimes dropbox doesn't sync quite well, etc

Currently, doing a git branch -r on my desktop after doing git push --mirror origin on my laptop doesn't show my recently laptop commits. Can someone tell me why?

I mentioned pulling from my desktop directly because that way I can always initialize the pull and I am 100% confident that the sync is done. With dropbox I can never be 100% sure whether the update has been pushed to the dropbox server

1 Answers
Related