"Auth Failed" error with EGit and GitHub

Viewed 117213

I've installed EGit plugin at Eclipse Helios and I'm trying to use it with my GitHub account, but when I try to configure it I get an "Auth Failed" error.

I'd been googling it but no luck... it seems to be a problem with my passphrase but AFAIK EGit is looking at the right place (/home/user/.ssh/id_rsa) and I've no problem in connect by ssh or git console client.

Some blogs says that is a problem with the URI and the Egit's parser but I still haven't found a solution.

23 Answers

After spending hours looking for the solution to this problem, I finally struck gold by making the changes mentioned on an Eclipse Forum.

Steps:

Prerequisites: mysysgit is installed with default configuration.

1.Create the file C:/Users/Username/.ssh/config (Replace "Username" with your Windows 7 user name. (e.g. C:/Users/John/.ssh/config)) and put this in it:

Host github.com
HostName github.com
User git
PreferredAuthentications publickey
IdentityFile ~/.ssh/id_rsa

2.Try setting up the remote repository now in Eclipse.

Cheers. It should work perfectly.

I run into the same issue.

I thought it's something to do with my credentials and authentication.

Then finally I realised it's the URI I configured is not HTTP variant.

I was trying to push to SSH URI of my Git with HTTP configuration.

Check your URL in

Git Perspective > Remotes > Origin > Configure Fetch > Change > Make sure the prtocal is HTTPS and the URL is https version.

I could use console to push/pull the repositories, but no in eclipse. In my case, eclipse seems can't read my SSH private key, my key started with:

-----BEGIN OPENSSH PRIVATE KEY-----

And I noticed my colleague's key started with:

-----BEGIN RSA PRIVATE KEY-----
Proc-Type: 4,ENCRYPTED

I think currently eclipse can't take this new kind of key (OPENSSH PRIVATE KEY).

I solved it by: Regenerate your ssh key by using command:

ssh-keygen -m PEM -t rsa -b 2048

This will use the old way to generate the key: so it will starts with the headers:

-----BEGIN RSA PRIVATE KEY-----
Proc-Type: 4,ENCRYPTED

see more information on:

https://github.com/duplicati/duplicati/issues/3360

Then you can load the key again in eclilpse by using Preferences -> Network connections -> SSH2, click "Add Private Key" (still select your private key, even you already see the name in the list of private keys, because eclipse has to reload it)

Related