How to remove RVM (Ruby Version Manager) from my system

Viewed 237736

How can I remove RVM (Ruby Version Manager) from my system?

13 Answers

I am running Ubuntu 19.04 and followed all the instructions above and then some. Finally, what worked for me was to run

sudo apt autoremove rvm

and now when I try and reinstall RVM it's actually gone. RVM is invasive, to say the least.

Per RVM's troubleshooting documentation "How do I completely clean out all traces of RVM from my system, including for system wide installs?":

Here is a custom script which we name as 'cleanout-rvm'. While you can definitely use rvm implode as a regular user or rvmsudo rvm implode for a system wide install, this script is useful as it steps completely outside of RVM and cleans out RVM without using RVM itself, leaving no traces.

#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/sudo rm -rf $HOME/.rvm $HOME/.rvmrc /etc/rvmrc /etc/profile.d/rvm.sh /usr/local/rvm /usr/local/bin/rvm
/usr/bin/sudo /usr/sbin/groupdel rvm
/bin/echo "RVM is removed. Please check all .bashrc|.bash_profile|.profile|.zshrc for RVM source lines and delete or comment out if this was a Per-User installation."

Complementing @Kingsley Ijomah answer...

It may be necessary to fix the PATH so that the rvm command also disappears from the terminal.

To check your PATH:

env | grep PATH

To fix your PATH removing RVM directories:

dir_to_remove=/home/user/.rvm/bin
PATH=:$PATH:
PATH=${PATH//:$dir_to_remove:/:}
PATH=${PATH#:}; PATH=${PATH%:}

In this case, if you have more than one directory, change dir_to_remove one at a time.

I needed to remove some rvm and rbenv directories as I am now using asdf.

Be careful.

Related