What is Mercurial bisect good for?

Viewed 6156

I've been reading about hg bisect and its interesting to be able to know which revision introduced a bug, but I'd like to know what people use this information for. The only thing I can think of is trying to narrow down which dates might need a data fix if it's a bug that results in some form of invalid data.

update: I think I completely misunderstood the purpose before I posted this. I was thinking that I would do the debugging and find which line(s) introduced the bug and then use bisect. It seems bisect is a way for me to not have to spend time guessing where the bug might be and placing breakpoints or logging. Instead I should write a small test that fails now, passes in a past revision and have bisect tell me where the problem originates.

4 Answers
Related