Split a string straight into variables

Viewed 80225

I’d like to know if standard JS provides a way of splitting a string straight into a set of variables during their initial declaration. For example in Perl I would use:

my ($a, $b, $c) = split '-', $str;

In Firefox I can write

var [a, b, c] = str.split('-');

But this syntax is not part of the ECMAScript 5th edition and as such breaks in all other browsers. What I’m trying to do is avoid having to write:

var array = str.split('-');
var a = array[0];
var b = array[1];
var c = array[2];

Because for the code that I’m writing at the moment such a method would be a real pain, I’m creating 20 variables from 7 different splits and don’t want to have to use such a verbose method.

Does anyone know of an elegant way to do this?

4 Answers

Split a string into two part variables for a 3 or more word sentence.

> var [firstName, lastName] = 'Ravindra Kumar Padhi'.split(/(\w+)$/)

> console.log({firstName: firstName.trim(), lastName: lastName.trim()})
{ firstName: 'Ravindra Kumar', lastName: 'Padhi' }
Related