Installing Rails Path on Ubuntu with RVM

Viewed 29894

I'm a linux noob running Ubuntu 10.04 and trying to install rails. I first installed ruby and then RVM and then downloaded and installed rubygems and then installed rails.

Rails only seems to respond if I have a 'sudo' in front of the command. If I write 'rails new test' in the terminal I get this:

/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:779:in `report_activate_error': Could not find RubyGem rails (>= 0) (Gem::LoadError)
    from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:214:in `activate'
    from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:1082:in `gem'
    from /usr/bin/rails:18

If I go to the terminal and write 'rails -v' I get the same thing:

   /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:779:in `report_activate_error': Could not find RubyGem rails (>= 0) (Gem::LoadError)
        from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:214:in `activate'
        from /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:1082:in `gem'
        from /usr/bin/rails:18

And if I go to the terminal and write 'sudo rails -v' I get the following: Rails 3.0.0.rc

'gem environment' gives me this:

RUBYGEMS VERSION: 1.3.7
  - RUBY VERSION: 1.9.2 (2010-07-11 patchlevel -1) [i686-linux]
  - INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: /home/josh/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-rc2@rails3tutorial
  - RUBY EXECUTABLE: /home/josh/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-rc2/bin/ruby
  - EXECUTABLE DIRECTORY: /home/josh/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-rc2@rails3tutorial/bin

My suspicion is that my path is not set up correctly but I'm not sure how to fix it. Suggestions?

9 Answers
Related