Debug Target Is Missing?

Viewed 99994

When I try to build my solution, I get the following error:

Visual Studio cannot start debugging because the debug target 'c:\target' is missing. Please >build the project and retry, or set the OutputPath and AssemblyName properties appropriately >to point at the correct location for the target assembly.

My output path is set correctly to bin\Debug, but the exe is never created in that folder. Instead, all I get are the exe.config, vshost.exe, and vshost.exe.config files.

Any idea what's going on?

19 Answers

I just stumbled across this problem, but I'm using Visual Web Developer Express 2010 and couldn't find any wrong path either within IDE or in the project file. Rebuilding or deleting build folders didn't help.

But after examining the projects .user file, which I've never done before, I discovered that the bad path was in there. Very simple if one knows where to look.

Related