Apache mod_speling case insensitive URLs issue

Viewed 24907

I want to have case insensitive URLs using Apache's mod_speling module, but this is producing unwanted lists of "multiple options" whilst the Apache documention says

When set, this directive limits the action of the spelling correction to lower/upper case changes. Other potential corrections are not performed.

I'm testing this on an Apache 2.2.16 Unix fresh install but I'm still running into exact the same problems as submitted in 2008.

It's unexpected (and not wanted) behaviour when Apache lists a few "multiple choices" (status code 300) when the checkCaseOnly directive is on!

I have this in my httpd.conf:

CheckSpelling on
CheckCaseOnly on

First directive to use the mod_speling, second directive to limit only to case corrections

What am I doing wrong?

5 Answers

After reading user1647075's answer about this being a known Apache bug that's unlikely to be fixed, I decided my best option was to hide the "multiple options" page from the user by updating my Apache config to show the 404 error page for 300 status codes:

ErrorDocument 300 /404.htm

Of course, you can also create a custom error page instead of reusing the 404 error page.

Hope this workaround helps.

Related