Is it difficult to make a mainly stateless web application with Wicket?

Viewed 3747

I've been working with Wicket for month or two now, making simple web applications with it and getting used to models and so forth. Now I'd like to move forward and see if I can put what I've learned so far to use and create a medium/large web application. However, I haven't spent much time thinking about how to make pages stateless.

If I understand correctly, making a stateless page is achieved by making the page bookmarkable and making sure that no stateful components are added to the page.

For the website I am making I want to avoid "Page expired" messages, let users be logged in via cookies, make a whole lot of the content available without needing to login/create a session, and I want functionality such as pagination to be stateless and bookmarkable.

This is no problem with e.g. PHP, but it seems to me that a whole lot of the useful Wicket components are stateful. Am I in for a whole lot of work, such as creating my own set of components that are stateless, or is it no big deal?

I hope someone can help me out by pointing me in the right direction.

EDIT: Lets say I wanted to make a blog. Browsing posts, categories and so on should be possible without having to worry that the page will have become expired if a user decides to read an article for 2 hours and then tries to navigate further via e.g. pagination. I want to allow users to stay logged in for a month at a time, but I do not exactly want to store their session for a month either.

I'd greatly appreciate any help on how I can accomplish what I just described, with Wicket.

2 Answers
Related