How to tell an IP address with 4 LEDs?

Viewed 1379

I am developing a net-managed device with the .NET Micro Framework. Since the idea is to have a bunch of devices in an office, sometimes it is necessary for the user to know the IP address of a specific device.

So I've been trying to come with ideas on how to indicate the IP address the user. The only user interface is 4 LED lights that I can blink on and off at varying speeds.

So far, the best idea I could come up with is this: seeing how the IP address has 4 parts and I have 4 LEDs, it would make sense that each LED be responsible for a single IP address part. So for address like 192.168.0.34, I'd have LED1 blink once, then pause, then blink 9 times, pause, then blink 2 times. The action would then shift to the LED2, which would blink out 168 in a similar manner and so on. Number 0 would be indicated by blinking really fast for half a second.

Any other ideas?

15 Answers

Could do it the way that the pulse dialing worked in the phone system. Basically one blink is zero, and it counts up from there.

1 = **          (2 blinks)
9 = **********  (10 blinks)
2 = ***         (3 blinks)
Long Blink
1 = **          (2 blinks)
6 = *******     (7 blinks)
8 = *********   (9 blinks)
Long Blink
0 = *           (1 blink)
0 = *           (1 blink)
1 = **          (2 blinks)
Long Blink
2 = ***         (3 blinks)
4 = *****       (5 blinks)
1 = **          (2 blinks)
Related