Visual Studio 2010 crashes repeatedly

Viewed 68573

I've been running Visual Studio 2010 (the official release) for some time now. Lately, VS will crash 10+ times during my 8 hour work day. In VS2008, crashes were common when working with large Xaml files, and while I experience some of that with VS2010, crashes occur when debugging, starting the debugger, stopping the debugger, and other random times when editing code.

I've looked through the problem reports, and the one I've found that occurs most frequently is:

Description

Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: devenv.exe

Application Version: 10.0.30319.1

Application Timestamp: 4ba1fab3

Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll

Fault Module Version: 6.1.7600.16385

Fault Module Timestamp: 4a5bdb3b

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 0002e23e

I'm running Windows 7 (x64). Hoepfully someone has come across this problem and has found a solution. I plan on reinstalling VS2010. Hopefully that takes care of the problem.

14 Answers

I know why it could be crashing. Code it self. Have you tried to debug the failed instance of VS2010 with Vs2010? If the xaml designer crashed anywhere in your code you should be able to see the stack trace. Also, try to load the same xaml into Blend 4 and then run the vs2010 on Blend when that crashes. I've had some good results debugging Vs2010 crashes like that.

There are so many things that can cause studio to crash.

I'd look at everything from video card drivers to whether the RAM is stable.

Note, there is a microsoft connect but on this exact issue at: http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/634162/devenv-exe-frequent-intermittent-crashes-fault-module-name-ntdll-dll

You might vote on it or add your own information to the report but the very first thing I'd do is update my video drivers. One place I was at had a lot of issues with 2005; it would randomly crash just displaying the design surface or when opening a few too many code files; but once we got decent video cards and the appropriate drivers installed it worked flawlessly.

Related