How do I remove an object from an array with JavaScript?

Viewed 343503

I have an JavaScript object like this:

id="1";
name = "serdar";

and I have an Array which contains many objects of above. How can I remove an object from that array such as like that:

obj[1].remove();
15 Answers

If you have access to ES2015 functions, and you're looking for a more functional approach I'd go with something like:

const people = [
  { id: 1, name: 'serdar' },
  { id: 5, name: 'alex' },
  { id: 300, name: 'brittany' }
];

const idToRemove = 5;

const filteredPeople = people.filter((item) => item.id !== idToRemove);

// [
//   { id: 1, name: 'serdar' },
//   { id: 300, name: 'brittany' }
// [

Watch out though, filter() is non-mutating, so you'll get a new array back.

See the Mozilla Developer Network notes on Filter.

Cleanest and fastest way (ES6)

const apps = [
  {id:1, name:'Jon'}, 
  {id:2, name:'Dave'},
  {id:3, name:'Joe'}
]

//remove item with id=2
const itemToBeRemoved = {id:2, name:'Dave'}

apps.splice(apps.findIndex(a => a.id === itemToBeRemoved.id) , 1)

//print result
console.log(apps)

Update: if any chance item doesn't exist in the look up array please use below solution, updated based on MaxZoom's comment

const apps = [
  {id:1, name:'Jon'}, 
  {id:3, name:'Joe'}
]

//remove item with id=2
const itemToBeRemoved = {id:2, name:'Dave'}

const findIndex = apps.findIndex(a => a.id === itemToBeRemoved.id)

findIndex !== -1 && apps.splice(findIndex , 1)

//print result
console.log(apps)

we have an array of objects, we want to remove one object using only the id property

var apps = [
       {id:34,name:'My App',another:'thing'},
       {id:37,name:'My New App',another:'things'
}];

get the index of the object with id:37

var removeIndex = apps.map(function(item) { return item.id; }).indexOf(37);

// remove object

apps.splice(removeIndex, 1);
Related