Weird behavior of right shift operator (1 >> 32)

Viewed 4462

I recently faced a strange behavior using the right-shift operator.

The following program:

#include <cstdio>
#include <cstdlib>
#include <iostream>
#include <stdint.h>

int foo(int a, int b)
{
   return a >> b;
}

int bar(uint64_t a, int b)
{
   return a >> b;
}

int main(int argc, char** argv)
{
    std::cout << "foo(1, 32): " << foo(1, 32) << std::endl;
    std::cout << "bar(1, 32): " << bar(1, 32) << std::endl;
    std::cout << "1 >> 32: " << (1 >> 32) << std::endl; //warning here
    std::cout << "(int)1 >> (int)32: " << ((int)1 >> (int)32) << std::endl; //warning here

    return EXIT_SUCCESS;
}

Outputs:

foo(1, 32): 1 // Should be 0 (but I guess I'm missing something)
bar(1, 32): 0
1 >> 32: 0
(int)1 >> (int)32: 0

What happens with the foo() function ? I understand that the only difference between what it does and the last 2 lines, is that the last two lines are evaluated at compile time. And why does it "work" if I use a 64 bits integer ?

Any lights regarding this will be greatly appreciated !


Surely related, here is what g++ gives:

> g++ -o test test.cpp
test.cpp: In function 'int main(int, char**)':
test.cpp:20:36: warning: right shift count >= width of type
test.cpp:21:56: warning: right shift count >= width of type
7 Answers
Related