The ViewData item that has the key 'MY KEY' is of type 'System.String' but must be of type 'IEnumerable<SelectListItem>'

Viewed 101249

I am trying to populate a dropdown list from a database mapped with Linq-2-SQL, using ASP.NET MVC 2, and keep getting this error.

I am so confused because I am declaring a variable of type IEnumerable<SelectListItem> on the second line, but the error makes me think this is not the case. I feel like this should be very simple, but I am struggling. Any help is appreciated.

Here are the interesting bits of my controller:

public ActionResult Create()
{
    var db = new DB();
    IEnumerable<SelectListItem> basetypes = db.Basetypes.Select(
        b => new SelectListItem { Value = b.basetype, Text = b.basetype });
    ViewData["basetype"] = basetypes;
    return View();
}

And here are the interesting bits of my view:

<div class="editor-label">
   <%: Html.LabelFor(model => model.basetype) %>
</div>
<div class="editor-field">
   <%: Html.DropDownList("basetype") %>
   <%: Html.ValidationMessageFor(model => model.basetype) %>
</div>

Here is the POST action when submitting the Form

// POST: /Meals/Create
[HttpPost]
public ActionResult Create(Meal meal)
{
    if (ModelState.IsValid)
    {
        try
        {
            // TODO: Add insert logic here
            var db = new DB();
            db.Meals.InsertOnSubmit(meal);
            db.SubmitChanges();
            return RedirectToAction("Index");
        }
        catch
        {
            return View(meal);
        }
    }
    else
    {
        return View(meal);
    }
}

Thanks.

9 Answers

For future readers, if you are using razor, try to change type of selectlist item from List to IEnumerable.

From

@Html.DropDownListFor(m => m.id, ViewBag.SomeList as List<SelectListItem>)

To

@Html.DropDownListFor(m => m.id, ViewBag.SomeList as IEnumerable<SelectListItem>)

To future readers,

I came across with the problem today and couldn“t fix it. It turned to be really simple after all. I was working with a table + view. When I updated the table (added a few colums) I forgot to update (drop and recreate) the view, which caused the problem for me. Hope it helps somebody.

I got same error today and my solution is to make model "valid".

In my case, after user submit by clicking "save", I got model state: invalid if user key-in "0", but model state will be valid if user key-in "0.0".

So I override "IsValid" method to return true even user key-in "0".

Hope it helps.

Related