PHP Framework Overhead

Viewed 2573

There are tons of PHP frameworks out there; some are pretty decent, others seem bloated and unnecessary. After watching Rasmus Lerdorf's presentation on PHP performance at Digg, I'm somewhat more concerned about the performance of the frameworks that I choose for building my applications with.

Two of the most popular frameworks that I'm aware of are CodeIgniter and CakePHP. From what I understand, CakePHP is a terrible resource hog. What about CodeIgniter? I hear that Zend Framework isn't all that slim, either.

Are there other (more performant) frameworks that I should be interested in? Would it be better to simply not use a framework at all? What considerations should I make towards choosing a PHP framework?

6 Answers

I have built some big applications with the Yii PHP framework. It's pretty speedy because it "lazy" auto-loads classes. I have no performance complaints.

If you run a PHP opcode cache/accelerator like APC or eAccelerator, and do all of the usual best practices for page loading speed on LAMP setups, then using a PHP framework will be WELL WORTH IT for the development time saved. Performance will not really be an issue unless you are serving an astronomical number of requests!

Related