Convert a Bitmap to GrayScale in Android

Viewed 83321

I am new to this site, and I come with a question about Android.

Is there any way to convert a Bitmap to grayscale? I know how to draw a grayscale bitmap (using canvas operations: http://www.mail-archive.com/android-developers@googlegroups.com/msg38890.html) but I really need The actual bitmap in gray colors (or at least something that could be converted to a bitmap later on). Do I have to implement it by hand (pixel by pixel operations)?

I've searched a lot, and still could not find. Anyone knows a easy/efficient way to do it?

Thanks a lot!

5 Answers

Here's a more efficient way, which I've made to support all versions of Android:

    //    https://xjaphx.wordpress.com/2011/06/21/image-processing-grayscale-image-on-the-fly/
    @JvmStatic
    fun getGrayscaledBitmapFallback(src: Bitmap, redVal: Float = 0.299f, greenVal: Float = 0.587f, blueVal: Float = 0.114f): Bitmap {
        // create output bitmap
        val bmOut = Bitmap.createBitmap(src.width, src.height, src.config)
        // pixel information
        var A: Int
        var R: Int
        var G: Int
        var B: Int
        var pixel: Int
        // get image size
        val width = src.width
        val height = src.height
        // scan through every single pixel
        for (x in 0 until width) {
            for (y in 0 until height) {
                // get one pixel color
                pixel = src.getPixel(x, y)
                // retrieve color of all channels
                A = Color.alpha(pixel)
                R = Color.red(pixel)
                G = Color.green(pixel)
                B = Color.blue(pixel)
                // take conversion up to one single value
                B = (redVal * R + greenVal * G + blueVal * B).toInt()
                G = B
                R = G
                // set new pixel color to output bitmap
                bmOut.setPixel(x, y, Color.argb(A, R, G, B))
            }
        }
        // return final image
        return bmOut
    }

    @TargetApi(Build.VERSION_CODES.JELLY_BEAN_MR1)
    @JvmStatic
    fun getGrayscaledBitmap(context: Context, src: Bitmap): Bitmap {
//        https://gist.github.com/imminent/cf4ab750104aa286fa08
//        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grayscale
        val redVal = 0.299f
        val greenVal = 0.587f
        val blueVal = 0.114f
        if (Build.VERSION.SDK_INT < Build.VERSION_CODES.JELLY_BEAN_MR1)
            return getGrayscaledBitmapFallback(src, redVal, greenVal, blueVal)
        val render = RenderScript.create(context)
        val matrix = Matrix4f(floatArrayOf(-redVal, -redVal, -redVal, 1.0f, -greenVal, -greenVal, -greenVal, 1.0f, -blueVal, -blueVal, -blueVal, 1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f))
        val result = src.copy(src.config, true)
        val input = Allocation.createFromBitmap(render, src, Allocation.MipmapControl.MIPMAP_NONE, Allocation.USAGE_SCRIPT)
        val output = Allocation.createTyped(render, input.type)
        // Inverts and do grayscale to the image
        @Suppress("DEPRECATION")
        val inverter =
                if (Build.VERSION.SDK_INT >= Build.VERSION_CODES.KITKAT)
                    ScriptIntrinsicColorMatrix.create(render)
                else
                    ScriptIntrinsicColorMatrix.create(render, Element.U8_4(render))
        inverter.setColorMatrix(matrix)
        inverter.forEach(input, output)
        output.copyTo(result)
        src.recycle()
        render.destroy()
        return result
    }
Related