Is there a way to unit test against side effects?

Viewed 6486

Any code can provide side effects. Most of the time, side effects can be a sign of bad design and/or need of refactorisation, but when unit testing I find it hard to test against. Consider the following example:

[Test]
public void TrimAll_Removes_All_Spaces()
{
    // Arrange
    var testSubject = "A    string  with     lots   of     space";
    var expectedResult = "Astringwithlotsofspace";

    // Act
    var result = testSubject.TrimAll();

    // Assert
    Assert.AreEqual(expectedResult, result);
}

that tests the following extension:

public static string TrimAll(this string str)
{
    PokeAround();

    return str.Replace(" ", "");
}

The test will pass, but there is no guard agains side effects. The effects of the call to PokeAround will go completely unnoticed.

Given that you don't know what PokeAround is - it could be anything! - how do you write a test that guards against it? Is it at all possible?

Clarification: There have been a couple of comments about the PokeAround as completely unknown being a very unlikely scenario, since we have the source when we write the test. The reason I asked this question, though, was to find a way to guard against side effects added later on. That is, when I write the test, I might have the exension method look like this:

public static string TrimAll(this string str)
{
    return str.Replace(" ", "");
}

The test passes, all is good. Then, a month later when I'm on vacation, a colleague add's the PokeAround call. I want the test I already wrote to fail because he did.

10 Answers

Keep in mind that unit tests are only one tool in an arsenal of verifications and checks, some of which may catch your colleague's "PokeAround":

  1. Unit tests
  2. Code Inspections/Reviews
  3. Design by Contract
  4. Assertions
  5. Static analysis tools like FindBugs and the Checker Framework (@NonNull, @Pure, and @ReadOnly all rock!)

others?

The test passes, all is good. Then, a month later when I'm on vacation, a colleague add's the PokeAround call. I want the test I already wrote to fail because he did.

What makes you think that your colleague wouldn't change the test as well?

I don't program in this language, but the following would be one way to test whether the original string was modified:

[Test]
public void TrimAll_Removes_All_Spaces()
{
    // Arrange
    var testSubject = "A    string  with     lots   of     space";
    var testSubjectCopy = "A    string  with     lots   of     space";
    var expectedResult = "Astringwithlotsofspace";

    // Act
    var result = testSubject.TrimAll();

    // Assert
    Assert.AreEqual(expectedResult, result);

    // Check for side effects
    Assert.AreEqual(testSubjectCopy, testSubject);
}
Related