ATDD versus BDD and the proper use of a framework

Viewed 6160

I am just getting into the concept of BDD and have listened to Scott Bellware's talk with the Herding Code guys. I have been playing around with SpecFlow some and like it pretty well.

I understand the distinction between ATDD and TDD as described in the blog post Classifying BDD Tools (Unit-Test-Driven vs. Acceptance Test Driven) and a bit of BDD history, but that leads me to a question.

As described, isn't using a BDD tool (such as MSpec) just another unit testing framework? It seems to me that it is.

Furthermore, this seems to suggest that using SpecFlow to spec out the lower level components (such as your repositories and services) would be wrong. If I can use the same tool for both ATDD and TDD of lower level components, why shouldn't I? There seems to still be some blurry lines here that I feel like I'm not quite understanding.

5 Answers
Related