How can I change the Java Runtime Version on Windows (7)?

Viewed 250873

How can I change the Java Runtime Version on Windows.

I installed Java 7 for some tests, and now I need the old java6 as system default, but I don't want to uninstall the Java 7 (I need it for later tests). Can I change the system-used JRE in the control panel/Java/JRE tab? I can change/edit/add/delete the user-used version, but not the system-used.

8 Answers

If you are using windows 10 or windows server 2012, the steps to change the java runtime version is this:

  1. Open regedit using 'Run'
  2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> JavaSoft -> Java Runtime Environment
  3. Here you will see all the versions of java you installed on your PC. For me I have several versions of java 1.8 installed, so the folder displayed here are 1.8, 1.8.0_162 and 1.8.0_171
  4. Click the '1.8' folder, then double click the JavaHome and RuntimeLib keys, Change the version number inside to whichever Java version you want your PC to run on. For example, if the Value data of the key is 'C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_171', you can change this to 'C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_162'.
  5. You can then verify the version change by typing 'java -version' on the command line.
Related