Git is really slow for 100,000 objects. Any fixes?

Viewed 68094

I have a "fresh" git-svn repo (11.13 GB) that has over a 100,000 objects in it.

I have preformed

git fsck
git gc

on the repo after the initial checkout.

I then tried to do a

git status

The time it takes to do a git status is anywhere from 2m25.578s and 2m53.901s

I tested git status by issuing the command

time git status

5 times and all of the times ran between the two times listed above.

I am doing this on a Mac OS X, locally not through a VM.

There is no way it should be taking this long.

Any ideas? Help?

Thanks.

Edit

I have a co-worker sitting right next to me with a comparable box. Less RAM and running Debian with a jfs filesystem. His git status runs in .3 on the same repo (it is also a git-svn checkout).

Also, I recently changed my file permissions (to 777) on this folder and it brought the time down considerably (why, I have no clue). I can now get it done anywhere between 3 and 6 seconds. This is manageable, but still a pain.

11 Answers
Related