select *
from table
where date > '2010-07-20 03:21:52'
which I would expect to not give me any results... EXCEPT I'm getting a record with a datetime of 2010-07-20 03:21:52.577
how can I make the query ignore milliseconds?
select *
from table
where date > '2010-07-20 03:21:52'
which I would expect to not give me any results... EXCEPT I'm getting a record with a datetime of 2010-07-20 03:21:52.577
how can I make the query ignore milliseconds?
Use CAST with following parameters:
Date
select Cast('2017-10-11 14:38:50.540' as date)
Output: 2017-10-11
Datetime
select Cast('2017-10-11 14:38:50.540' as datetime)
Output: 2017-10-11 14:38:50.540
SmallDatetime
select Cast('2017-10-11 14:38:50.540' as smalldatetime)
Output: 2017-10-11 14:39:00
Note this method rounds to whole minutes (so you lose the seconds as well as the milliseconds)
DatetimeOffset
select Cast('2017-10-11 14:38:50.540' as datetimeoffset)
Output: 2017-10-11 14:38:50.5400000 +00:00
Datetime2
select Cast('2017-10-11 14:38:50.540' as datetime2)
Output: 2017-10-11 14:38:50.5400000
Use 'Smalldatetime' data type
select convert(smalldatetime, getdate())
will fetch
2015-01-08 15:27:00
I'm very late but I had the same issue a few days ago. None of the solutions above worked or seemed fit. I just needed a timestamp without milliseconds so I converted to a string using Date_Format and then back to a date with Str_To_Date:
STR_TO_DATE(DATE_FORMAT(your-timestamp-here, '%Y-%m-%d %H:%i:%s'),'%Y-%m-%d %H:%i:%s')
Its a little messy but works like a charm.
Review this example:
declare @now datetimeoffset = sysdatetimeoffset();
select @now;
-- 1
select convert(datetimeoffset(0), @now, 120);
-- 2
select convert(datetimeoffset, convert(varchar, @now, 120));
which yields output like the following:
2021-07-30 09:21:37.7000000 +00:00
-- 1
2021-07-30 09:21:38 +00:00
-- 2
2021-07-30 09:21:37.0000000 +00:00
Note that for (1), the result is rounded (up in this case), while for (2) it is truncated.
Therefore, if you want to truncate the milliseconds off a date(time)-type value as per the question, you must use:
declare @myDateTimeValue = <date-time-value>
select cast(convert(varchar, @myDateValue, 120) as <same-type-as-@myDateTimeValue>);