Using pair as key in a map (C++ / STL)

Viewed 82153

I want to use a pair from STL as a key of a map.

#include <iostream>
#include <map>

using namespace std;

int main() {

typedef pair<char*, int> Key;
typedef map< Key , char*> Mapa;

Key p1 ("Apple", 45);
Key p2 ("Berry", 20);

Mapa mapa;

mapa.insert(p1, "Manzana");
mapa.insert(p2, "Arandano");

return 0;

}

But the compiler throw a bunch of unreadable information and I'm very new to C and C++.

How can I use a pair as a key in a map? And in general How can I use any kind of structure (objects, structs, etc) as a key in a map?

Thanks!

6 Answers

Here's a working rewrite of the code in question:

#include <map>
#include <string>

class Key
{
  public: 
    Key(std::string s, int i)
    {
      this->s = s;
      this->i = i;
    }
    std::string s;
    int i;
    bool operator<(const Key& k) const
    {
      int s_cmp = this->s.compare(k.s);
      if(s_cmp == 0)
      {
        return this->i < k.i;
      }
      return s_cmp < 0;
    }
};

int main()
{


  Key p1 ("Apple", 45);
  Key p2 ("Berry", 20);

  std::map<Key,std::string> mapa;

  mapa[p1] = "Manzana";
  mapa[p2] = "Arandano";

  printf("mapa[%s,%d] --> %s\n",
    p1.s.c_str(),p1.i,mapa.begin()->second.c_str());
  printf("mapa[%s,%d] --> %s\n",
    p2.s.c_str(),p2.i,(++mapa.begin())->second.c_str());

  return 0;
}

This is a similar version of what you want to do, just change the data types, that's all. Also, use a c++ string, not the one we use in c.

#include<bits/stdc++.h>
using namespace std;
#define  ll long long int
typedef pair<ll,ll> my_key_type;
typedef map<my_key_type,ll> my_map_type;
int  main()
{
    my_map_type m;
    m.insert(make_pair(my_key_type(30,40),6));
}   
Related