solution to OCR / search through 4 million pieces of paper and 10,000 added daily

Viewed 7492

I work for a medical lab company. They need to be able to search through all their client data. So far they have a few years in storage about 4 million pieces of paper, and they are adding 10,000 pages per day. For data that is 6 months old, they need to access it about 10-20 times per day. They are deciding whether to spend 80k on a scanning system, and have the secretaries scan everything in house, or whether to hire a company like iron mountain to do this. Iron mountain will charge around 8cents per page, which adds up to around $300k for the amount of paper we have, plus a bunch of more money every day for the 10,000 sheets.

I am thinking that perhaps I can build a database and do all the scanning in house.

  1. What are those systems that are used to scan checks and mail and they read really messy hand writing really well?
  2. has anyone had experience building a database with a bunch of OCR'd searchable documents? What tools should I use for my problem?
  3. Can you recommend the best OCR libraries?
  4. As a programmer, what would you do to solve this problem?

FYI none of the answers below answer my questions well enough

10 Answers
Related