Do I need to close a .NET service reference client when I'm done using it

Viewed 15755

I'm trying to find out if it is neccessary to close a .net service reference client when you are done using it. Almost all of the examples that I have come across on the net don't seem to, but the client that is generated implements IDisposable and since it does open a connection to a service, my intuition tells me you need to close that connection when you are done with it.

Here is a code sample I pulled from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb386386(v=VS.90).aspx :

private void button1_Click(System.Object sender, System.EventArgs e)
{
    ServiceReference1.Service1Client client = new 
        ServiceReference1.Service1Client();
    string returnString;

    returnString = client.GetData(textBox1.Text);
    label1.Text = returnString;
}

I would think that you should at least call client.Close() at the end of this method, and better yet wrap the first line in a using statement. I just wanted to get some feedback on this to find out what the best practices are.

3 Answers
Related