Dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules

Viewed 79157

I used the following piece of code to read data from files as part of a larger program.

double data_read(FILE *stream,int code) {
        char data[8];
        switch(code) {
        case 0x08:
            return (unsigned char)fgetc(stream);
        case 0x09:
            return (signed char)fgetc(stream);
        case 0x0b:
            data[1] = fgetc(stream);
            data[0] = fgetc(stream);
            return *(short*)data;
        case 0x0c:
            for(int i=3;i>=0;i--)
                data[i] = fgetc(stream);
            return *(int*)data;
        case 0x0d:
            for(int i=3;i>=0;i--)
                data[i] = fgetc(stream);
            return *(float*)data;
        case 0x0e:
            for(int i=7;i>=0;i--)
                data[i] = fgetc(stream);
            return *(double*)data;
        }
        die("data read failed");
        return 1;
    }

Now I am told to use -O2 and I get following gcc warning: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules

Googleing I found two orthogonal answers:

vs

In the end I don't want to ignore the warnings. What would you recommend?

[update] I substituted the toy example with the real function.

7 Answers

Using a union is not the correct thing to do here. Reading from an unwritten member of the union is undefined - i.e. the compiler is free to perform optimisations that will break your code (like optimising away the write).

Related