Javascript indentation in VIM

Viewed 13720

I'm trying to get VIM to indent Javascript with the '=' and related commands. When I try to auto indent the following, for example:

   new function($) {
     $.fn.setCursorPosition = function(pos) { 
       if ($(this).setSelectionRange) {
         $(this).setSelectionRange(pos, pos);
       } else if ($(this).createTextRange) {
         var range = $(this).createTextRange();
         range.collapse(true);
         range.moveEnd('character', pos);
         range.moveStart('character', pos);
         range.select();
       }

The result is the rather absurd:

       new function($) {
       $.fn.setCursorPosition = function(pos) {
       if ($(this).setSelectionRange) {
       $(this).setSelectionRange(pos, pos);
       } else if ($(this).createTextRange) {
       var range = $(this).createTextRange();
       range.collapse(true);
       range.moveEnd('character', pos);
       range.moveStart('character', pos);
       range.select();
       }

I've set set syntax=javascript, and I've set filetype to:

filetype detection:ON  plugin:ON  indent:ON

Though I've tried every permutation of this. I've tried every permutation of smartindent, autoindent, and cindent, but nothing seems to have the correct effect of giving Vim the expected indentation. I've set tabstop=4.

I've installed javascript.vim, and IndentAnything, though they don't seem to have any effect.

I'd be very grateful for any suggestions as to how to get Vim indenting properly in JavaScript.

7 Answers

For me the presence of more than one '(' character before the '{' character on the same line seemed to change the indentation algorithm used by '='. Removing one of the '(' seemed to fix '=' for all parts of the file except other scope regions '{...}' which also had multiple '(' on the opening line.

I'm using vim 7.4 in lubuntu

Related