How can I find the closest previous sibling with class using jQuery?

Viewed 127812

Here's the rough HTML I get to work with:

<li class="par_cat"></li>
<li class="sub_cat"></li>
<li class="sub_cat"></li>
<li class="par_cat"></li> // this is the single element I need to select
<li class="sub_cat"></li>
<li class="sub_cat"></li>
<li class="sub_cat current_sub"></li> // this is where I need to start searching
<li class="par_cat"></li>
<li class="sub_cat"></li>
<li class="par_cat"></li>

I need to traverse from the .current_sub, find the closest previous .par_cat and do stuff to it.

.find("li.par_cat") returns the whole load of .par_cat (I've got about 30 on the page). I need target the single one.

5 Answers

Try:

$('li.current_sub').prevAll("li.par_cat:first");

Tested it with your markup:

$('li.current_sub').prevAll("li.par_cat:first").text("woohoo");
<script src="https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/jquery/3.3.1/jquery.min.js"></script>
<ul>
  <li class="par_cat"></li>
  <li class="sub_cat"></li>
  <li class="sub_cat"></li>
  <li class="par_cat">// this is the single element I need to select</li>
  <li class="sub_cat"></li>
  <li class="sub_cat"></li>
  <li class="sub_cat current_sub">// this is where I need to start searching</li>
  <li class="par_cat"></li>
  <li class="sub_cat"></li>
  <li class="par_cat"></li>
</ul>

will fill up the closest previous li.par_cat with "woohoo".

Try

$('li.current_sub').prev('.par_cat').[do stuff];

You can follow this code:

<script src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/3.2.1/jquery.min.js"></script>
<script>
    $(document).ready(function () {
        $(".add").on("click", function () {
            var v = $(this).closest(".division").find("input[name='roll']").val();
            alert(v);
        });
    });
</script>
<?php

for ($i = 1; $i <= 5; $i++) {
    echo'<div class = "division">'
        . '<form method="POST" action="">'
        . '<p><input type="number" name="roll" placeholder="Enter Roll"></p>'
        . '<p><input type="button" class="add" name = "submit" value = "Click"></p>'
        . '</form></div>';
}
?>

You can get idea from this.

Related