Resizing an image in an HTML5 canvas

Viewed 309901

I'm trying to create a thumbnail image on the client side using javascript and a canvas element, but when I shrink the image down, it looks terrible. It looks as if it was downsized in photoshop with the resampling set to 'Nearest Neighbor' instead of Bicubic. I know its possible to get this to look right, because this site can do it just fine using a canvas as well. I've tried using the same code they do as shown in the "[Source]" link, but it still looks terrible. Is there something I'm missing, some setting that needs to be set or something?

EDIT:

I'm trying to resize a jpg. I have tried resizing the same jpg on the linked site and in photoshop, and it looks fine when downsized.

Here is the relevant code:

reader.onloadend = function(e)
{
    var img = new Image();
    var ctx = canvas.getContext("2d");
    var canvasCopy = document.createElement("canvas");
    var copyContext = canvasCopy.getContext("2d");

    img.onload = function()
    {
        var ratio = 1;

        if(img.width > maxWidth)
            ratio = maxWidth / img.width;
        else if(img.height > maxHeight)
            ratio = maxHeight / img.height;

        canvasCopy.width = img.width;
        canvasCopy.height = img.height;
        copyContext.drawImage(img, 0, 0);

        canvas.width = img.width * ratio;
        canvas.height = img.height * ratio;
        ctx.drawImage(canvasCopy, 0, 0, canvasCopy.width, canvasCopy.height, 0, 0, canvas.width, canvas.height);
    };

    img.src = reader.result;
}

EDIT2:

Seems I was mistaken, the linked website wasn't doing any better of a job of downsizing the image. I tried the other methods suggested and none of them look any better. This is what the different methods resulted in:

Photoshop:

alt text

Canvas:

alt text

Image with image-rendering: optimizeQuality set and scaled with width/height:

alt text

Image with image-rendering: optimizeQuality set and scaled with -moz-transform:

alt text

Canvas resize on pixastic:

alt text

I guess this means firefox isn't using bicubic sampling like its supposed to. I'll just have to wait until they actually add it.

EDIT3:

Original Image

19 Answers

If you're simply trying to resize an image, I'd recommend setting width and height of the image with CSS. Here's a quick example:

.small-image {
    width: 100px;
    height: 100px;
}

Note that the height and width can also be set using JavaScript. Here's quick code sample:

var img = document.getElement("my-image");
img.style.width = 100 + "px";  // Make sure you add the "px" to the end,
img.style.height = 100 + "px"; // otherwise you'll confuse IE

Also, to ensure that the resized image looks good, add the following css rules to image selector:

As far as I can tell, all browsers except IE using an bicubic algorithm to resize images by default, so your resized images should look good in Firefox and Chrome.

If setting the css width and height doesn't work, you may want to play with a css transform:

If for whatever reason you need to use a canvas, please note that there are two ways an image can be resize: by resizing the canvas with css or by drawing the image at a smaller size.

See this question for more details.

i got this image by right clicking the canvas element in firefox and saving as.

alt text

var img = new Image();
img.onload = function () {
    console.debug(this.width,this.height);
    var canvas = document.createElement('canvas'), ctx;
    canvas.width = 188;
    canvas.height = 150;
    document.body.appendChild(canvas);
    ctx = canvas.getContext('2d');
    ctx.drawImage(img,0,0,188,150);
};
img.src = 'original.jpg';

so anyway, here is a 'fixed' version of your example:

var img = new Image();
// added cause it wasnt defined
var canvas = document.createElement("canvas");
document.body.appendChild(canvas);

var ctx = canvas.getContext("2d");
var canvasCopy = document.createElement("canvas");
// adding it to the body

document.body.appendChild(canvasCopy);

var copyContext = canvasCopy.getContext("2d");

img.onload = function()
{
        var ratio = 1;

        // defining cause it wasnt
        var maxWidth = 188,
            maxHeight = 150;

        if(img.width > maxWidth)
                ratio = maxWidth / img.width;
        else if(img.height > maxHeight)
                ratio = maxHeight / img.height;

        canvasCopy.width = img.width;
        canvasCopy.height = img.height;
        copyContext.drawImage(img, 0, 0);

        canvas.width = img.width * ratio;
        canvas.height = img.height * ratio;
        // the line to change
        // ctx.drawImage(canvasCopy, 0, 0, canvasCopy.width, canvasCopy.height, 0, 0, canvas.width, canvas.height);
        // the method signature you are using is for slicing
        ctx.drawImage(canvasCopy, 0, 0, canvas.width, canvas.height);
};

// changed for example
img.src = 'original.jpg';

I wanted some well defined functions out of answers here so ended up with these which am hoping would be useful for others also,

function getImageFromLink(link) {
    return new Promise(function (resolve) {
        var image = new Image();
        image.onload = function () { resolve(image); };
        image.src = link;
    });
}

function resizeImageToBlob(image, width, height, mime) {
    return new Promise(function (resolve) {
        var canvas = document.createElement('canvas');
        canvas.width = width;
        canvas.height = height;
        canvas.getContext('2d').drawImage(image, 0, 0, width, height);
        return canvas.toBlob(resolve, mime);
    });
}

getImageFromLink(location.href).then(function (image) {
    // calculate these based on the original size
    var width = image.width / 4;
    var height = image.height / 4;
    return resizeImageToBlob(image, width, height, 'image/jpeg');
}).then(function (blob) {
    // Do something with the result Blob object
    document.querySelector('img').src = URL.createObjectURL(blob);
});

Just for the sake of testing this run it on a image opened in a tab.

Related