Disable activity slide-in animation when launching new activity?

Viewed 120515

I have an activity which launches another activity, via a button click. By default, on newer OS versions of android, the OS will animate the new activity sliding in from right to left.

Is there a way to disable this animation? I just want the new activity to appear without any sort of animation.

11 Answers

Just specify Intent.FLAG_ACTIVITY_NO_ANIMATION flag when starting

In order to avoid the black background when starting an activity already in the stack, I added overridePendingTransition(0,0) in onStart():

@Override
protected void onStart() {
    overridePendingTransition(0,0);
    super.onStart();

}

To clear things up: FLAG_ACTIVITY_NO_ANIMATION (or android:windowAnimationStyle = @null in the theme) work perfectly fine for both, enter and exit. The problem is, that the enter animation checks if the animation is enabled in the one activity and the exit animation checks it for the other one. So make sure to disable it in both activities.

Related