Easy-to-use django captcha or registration app with captcha?

Viewed 16044

I want to implement user registration using captcha in Django. The workflow of django-registration app is a great, but it doesn't have captcha.

What captcha would you recommend to use with it? Are there some other variants of registration+captcha or useful links on the topic?

This should work with Django-1.1 and don't be too hard to install.

3 Answers

django-registration is pretty extendable. One way to extend it is to provide a custom registration form. I'd recommend to use reCaptcha, e.g. with the widget and form field from here (archived). Then it is as simple as writing a custom form class and registration backend (which is simpler than it sounds):

from registration.backends.default import DefaultBackend
from registration.forms import RegistrationForm

class RecaptchaRegistrationForm(RegistrationForm)
    recaptcha = ReCaptchaField(label="I'm a human")

class RecaptchaRegistrationBackend(DefaultBackend):
    def get_form_class(self, request):
        return RecaptchaRegistrationForm

The last step is to tell django-registration to use your backend. That step is described in the docs (I couldn't find a HTML version of the docs, sorry)

For those like me arriving late to the thread, there are a bunch of solutions out there now, which are pretty easy to install:

I've successfully setup Django Mollom and Django Simple Captcha, and the hardest part was yak shaving around installing PIL on my Mac. Implementing the code was as straightforward as the docs for each would suggest.

Related