Poll Database Schema

Viewed 9890

What is the best database schema for polls? Is one-to-many relationship good for this? I'm thinking about having two tables:

poll_questions
    int id
    varchar body
    datetime created_at
    datetime updated_at

poll_answers
    int id
    varchar body
    int votes default 0
    int question_id (foreign key to poll_questions.id)
    datetime created_at
    datetime updated_at

Then there would also be third table for tracking who voted for an answer so users are able to vote only once:

poll_voting_history
    int id
    int question_id (foreign key to poll_questions.id)
    int answer_id (foreign key to poll_answers.id)
    int user_id (foreign key to the id in the users table)
    datetime created_at
    datetime updated_at

What are your thoughts? Am I thinking about it right?

4 Answers

I would like to add the status of poll_questions and poll_answers as well, just in case if we need to activate or disable the current poll question during given date and time.

Related