Modular Exponentiation for high numbers in C++

Viewed 28811

So I've been working recently on an implementation of the Miller-Rabin primality test. I am limiting it to a scope of all 32-bit numbers, because this is a just-for-fun project that I am doing to familiarize myself with c++, and I don't want to have to work with anything 64-bits for awhile. An added bonus is that the algorithm is deterministic for all 32-bit numbers, so I can significantly increase efficiency because I know exactly what witnesses to test for.

So for low numbers, the algorithm works exceptionally well. However, part of the process relies upon modular exponentiation, that is (num ^ pow) % mod. so, for example,

3 ^ 2 % 5 = 
9 % 5 = 
4

here is the code I have been using for this modular exponentiation:

unsigned mod_pow(unsigned num, unsigned pow, unsigned mod)
{
    unsigned test;
    for(test = 1; pow; pow >>= 1)
    {
        if (pow & 1)
            test = (test * num) % mod;
        num = (num * num) % mod;
    }

    return test;

}

As you might have already guessed, problems arise when the arguments are all exceptionally large numbers. For example, if I want to test the number 673109 for primality, I will at one point have to find:

(2 ^ 168277) % 673109

now 2 ^ 168277 is an exceptionally large number, and somewhere in the process it overflows test, which results in an incorrect evaluation.

on the reverse side, arguments such as

4000111222 ^ 3 % 1608

also evaluate incorrectly, for much the same reason.

Does anyone have suggestions for modular exponentiation in a way that can prevent this overflow and/or manipulate it to produce the correct result? (the way I see it, overflow is just another form of modulo, that is num % (UINT_MAX+1))

6 Answers

Exponentiation by squaring still "works" for modulo exponentiation. Your problem isn't that 2 ^ 168277 is an exceptionally large number, it's that one of your intermediate results is a fairly large number (bigger than 2^32), because 673109 is bigger than 2^16.

So I think the following will do. It's possible I've missed a detail, but the basic idea works, and this is how "real" crypto code might do large mod-exponentiation (although not with 32 and 64 bit numbers, rather with bignums that never have to get bigger than 2 * log (modulus)):

  • Start with exponentiation by squaring, as you have.
  • Perform the actual squaring in a 64-bit unsigned integer.
  • Reduce modulo 673109 at each step to get back within the 32-bit range, as you do.

Obviously that's a bit awkward if your C++ implementation doesn't have a 64 bit integer, although you can always fake one.

There's an example on slide 22 here: http://www.cs.princeton.edu/courses/archive/spr05/cos126/lectures/22.pdf, although it uses very small numbers (less than 2^16), so it may not illustrate anything you don't already know.

Your other example, 4000111222 ^ 3 % 1608 would work in your current code if you just reduce 4000111222 modulo 1608 before you start. 1608 is small enough that you can safely multiply any two mod-1608 numbers in a 32 bit int.

Two things:

  • Are you using the appropriate data type? In other words, does UINT_MAX allow you to have 673109 as an argument?

No, it does not, since at one point you have Your code does not work because at one point you have num = 2^16 and the num = ... causes overflow. Use a bigger data type to hold this intermediate value.

  • How about taking modulo at every possible overflow oppertunity such as:

    test = ((test % mod) * (num % mod)) % mod;

Edit:

unsigned mod_pow(unsigned num, unsigned pow, unsigned mod)
{
    unsigned long long test;
    unsigned long long n = num;
    for(test = 1; pow; pow >>= 1)
    {
        if (pow & 1)
            test = ((test % mod) * (n % mod)) % mod;
        n = ((n % mod) * (n % mod)) % mod;
    }

    return test; /* note this is potentially lossy */
}

int main(int argc, char* argv[])
{

    /* (2 ^ 168277) % 673109 */
    printf("%u\n", mod_pow(2, 168277, 673109));
    return 0;
}

You could use following identity:

(a * b) (mod m) === (a (mod m)) * (b (mod m)) (mod m)

Try using it straightforward way and incrementally improve.

    if (pow & 1)
        test = ((test % mod) * (num % mod)) % mod;
    num = ((num % mod) * (num % mod)) % mod;
Related