EntityManager refresh problem

Viewed 50187

I'm getting this error from my EntityManager when I call the refresh function.

public void saveProduct(Product product) {
    entityManager.refresh(product);
}

I heard this could be a bug with Spring/Hibernate, however I'm not sure how to get around this.

Edit: the error is

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Entity not managed
org.hibernate.ejb.AbstractEntityManagerImpl.refresh(AbstractEntityManagerImpl.java:268)
sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
org.springframework.orm.jpa.ExtendedEntityManagerCreator$ExtendedEntityManagerInvocationHandler.invoke(ExtendedEntityManagerCreator.java:358)
$Proxy17.refresh(Unknown Source)
sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
org.springframework.orm.jpa.SharedEntityManagerCreator$SharedEntityManagerInvocationHandler.invoke(SharedEntityManagerCreator.java:198)
$Proxy11.refresh(Unknown Source)
springapp.repository.JdbcProductDao.saveProduct(JdbcProductDao.java:66)
springapp.service.SimpleProductManager.increasePrice(SimpleProductManager.java:28)
springapp.web.PriceIncreaseFormController.onSubmit(PriceIncreaseFormController.java:39)
sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
org.springframework.web.bind.annotation.support.HandlerMethodInvoker.doInvokeMethod(HandlerMethodInvoker.java:421)
org.springframework.web.bind.annotation.support.HandlerMethodInvoker.invokeHandlerMethod(HandlerMethodInvoker.java:136)
org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.annotation.AnnotationMethodHandlerAdapter.invokeHandlerMethod(AnnotationMethodHandlerAdapter.java:326)
org.springframework.web.servlet.mvc.annotation.AnnotationMethodHandlerAdapter.handle(AnnotationMethodHandlerAdapter.java:313)
org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doDispatch(DispatcherServlet.java:875)
org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doService(DispatcherServlet.java:807)
org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.processRequest(FrameworkServlet.java:571)
org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.doPost(FrameworkServlet.java:511)
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:637)
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)
5 Answers

From the docs of EntityManager:

IllegalArgumentException - if not an entity or entity is not managed

  1. Check if your entity is mapped (using @Entity, or with .xml configuration)
  2. Your entity must be persistent - i.e. managed by the entityManager. So if your entity is detached, merge() it first, and then refresh() it.
public void saveProduct(Product product) {
    ...

    Product managedProductEntity = entityManager.find(Product.class, product.getId());
    entityManager.refresh(managedProductEntity);

    ...
}

Works this way. managedProductEntity will be managed, and therefore it can be refreshed from database.

If the product object has just been created, you can't refresh() it, because there is no row in the database with the original values of the object. You first have to persist() the product and then flush() the entitymanager, after that a refresh() is possible.

Related